Ensuring the Team hits the Goal
Often times, capable teams miss the intended target or goal because parts of that plan were not clear to everyone. A team that works efficiently understands what it is being asked to do. Clarity is certainly the key. My friend Pat Nemmers once said to me, “There is something worse than having no vision, it’s having fuzzy vision.” So how can a team avoid fuzzy vision, which can derail the goal and the team?
Leaders, you must keep sharing and declaring the goal. Don’t assume that everyone knows! Make sure everyone understands. You may need to roll up your sleeves and once again show and support them. You will need to continue reinforcing them, but don’t take anything for granted.
Praise the team for what they are doing well and redirect them when they don’t. Follow up and keep on reinforcing.
8 Things to ensure your team hits the Goal
- Ensure the goal or objective is crystal clear
- There is something worse than no vision, “Fuzzy Vision”
- Leaders must keep sharing and declaring the goal
- Don’t assume that everyone knows the goal
- Leaders, you may need to roll up your sleeves in the middle of the project and show, support and reinforce them.
- Praise the team for what they are doing well
- Redirect where they are not doing well
- Keep following up and keep reinforcing